Saturday, June 21, 2008

More Fish and Chips?!


Okay, I'll admit it. Only four days after the London to Brighton cycle, I ate more greasy fish and chips. But this time it was also necessary because I was in Aldeburgh, Suffolk where they have a famous fish and chips shop and they just happened to be frying that day... I was in Aldeburgh for work - the group I work for was playing at the famous music festival in nearby Snape Maltings. We made a bit of a road trip out of it and visited Benjamin Britten's grave next to a beautiful flint church, walked on the stony (mostly flint) beach, and visited the famous Tudor, wood-framed Moot Hall, which features in Britten's opera Peter Grimes. It's a beautiful little town and the fish and chips were pretty amazing. Apparently it's supposed to be the best place on the east coast to get fish and chips - I got haddock and chips - and you must put salt and vinegar on or they will look at you strangely. We ate it on the beach, in the drizzle and wind.

Top 10 chip shops - an article from the Guardian (2002) and it lists the Aldeburgh chip shop as number 1!

No comments: