Friday, August 1, 2008

Olofactory - Bringing back memories

How do you cook? By taste, by smell? By eye? By luck?

I cook pretty much only by smell, mostly trying to reconstruct the smells I grew up with, which were intense and exquisite, usually, but not exclusively, created by my father in the kitchen. I remember the smell of freshly ground coffee in the morning; rosemary all year; basil and melon pretty much defining summer; sticking my nose in a freshly cut boletus mushroom in November and smelling earth; veal frying in garlic and olive oil; tomato sauce so aromatic you can believe that tomatoes are fruits; our Thanksgiving turkey covered in a rosemary forest and stuffed with chestnuts, plums, port...; pungent prosciutto hanging in the basement; the cold wine cellar and the smell of grapes fermenting; freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

My friend who's blog is magnotmargaret, has an evocative post up, which I recommend! What food smells take you back to childhood memories - or any sort of memories?

No comments: