Friday, November 19, 2010

Julia Child Day

Yesterday was Julia Child Day at Smith College, now a college tradition started which started six years ago following her death in 2004. Julia Child graduated from Smith in 1934 and went on to be a legend. She donated her kitchen to Smith, too! [See the press release from Smith here] As a fellow Smithie, I'd like to pay a small tribute here. I think her amazing, crazy, confident videos speak best! A friend of mine posted the following omelette making video and I'm still laughing. "Lightly coagulated eggs!" Et voilá! I especially like the bit at 2:11. As Julia said herself, "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." Word. Enjoy. I love her...



She was also just named one of the 25 most powerful women of the past century by TIME (along with another Smithie, Gloria Steinem).
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2029774_2029776_2031824,00.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo Julia! First off, when I watch Julia I see Dan Akyrod superimposed on her every time. He really had "her" down. I also have memories of watching this with my mother and her beating the living daylights out of every piece of meat she handled.

Thanks for the memories and the video.

Pig me up said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the clip. I spent the rest of that day watching other Julia Child clips and they all had me in stitches. I find her so admirable. She really didn't care what others thought of her. She was just an amazing cook with vision and a wicked sense of humor.

But yes, Dan Aykroyd is awesome as Julia Child. :-)