Sunday, November 14, 2010

Urban Gardens and Beyond Pumpkin Pie

I've just been grazing the excellent food section of The Atlantic and came across a couple wonderful articles.

The first is about urban farming in New Orleans and local people's efforts to use the city's empty lots for farming rather than letting them fester. The amount of empty lots apparently tripled after Katrina - pretty shocking - but featured in this article are the stories of five farms working in the heart of the city. Great community projects and so inspiring. I just wish all of the allotments in London would have their own weekend farm stands where we could buy excess produce, of which there is plenty. I'd only have to walk five minutes to indulge!

Five Urban Farms Reshaping the Food World in New Orleans by Tracie McMillan (The Atlantic)

It's rapidly approaching my most favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, and the Atlantic has a great feature on creative pumpkin recipes, including a pumpkin, leek, walnut, and cheese tart (sounds divine!). I may not use them for my Thanksgiving meal, but I will surely give some of them a try on another occasion. Now is the time of year to be eating all of those wonderful squash!

Beyond Pumpkin Pie: 10 Recipes from the Editors (The Atlantic)

No comments: