Monday, July 21, 2008

Save the bees! and other foodie thoughts for today



In reference to my post about disappearing honey bees, a friend today had up a little YouTube video on her gmail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5vt07W2n4
Cute. And yeah, save the bees.
Friend says, "apparently, it's a play on the complicated dances bees do to communicate with other bees where the nectar is"
Wicked. The costumes are hott.

The posh food hall downstairs from my work really pushed the limit today. Not only have their prices gone up to £6 ($12) for take away hot food (excusable considering the rising cost of all food), they are selling the smallest slices of watermelon I've EVER seen for £1.10 ($2.20). WTF?! I know that mini watermelon didn't cost them over £10 ($20). That is the slimiest rip-off I've encountered in a long time. I did have a small victory over them, though. Recently, I became addicted to a fruit bar they sell there for £1.10 called O Bars. Today I discovered that the corner shop down the block sells them for £0.89 ($1.80). Eat that, food hall! I'm also sorely disappointed in their focaccia. They put so much salt on it that it turns your mouth inside out. That costs £1.10 as well. I sense a pattern... Yeah, that I only look at things that cost £1.10 or less in their store. A pint of organic milk also costs £1.10.

It's blackberry season along the River Lee. On my way home tonight I picked some juicy ones and placed them carefully in my cycling jacket pockets so they wouldn't smoosh. They're yummy!

No comments: